JIU Research Center
JIU offers various research opportunities that are associated with different departments and institutions.
- Biomedical Research: Conducted in various departments, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), focusing on areas such as genetics, immunology, and drug development. In this field of research collaboration with Princeton University
- Space Exploration: Led by NASA, this research includes astrophysics, planetary science, and the search for extraterrestrial life. In this field of research collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): Departments of Computer Science and Engineering at universities and private companies are engaged in AI research, developing machine learning algorithms and applications. In this field of research collaboration with Harvard University.
- Renewable Energy: Research in the Department of Energy (DOE) focuses on wind, solar, and other clean energy technologies. In this field of research collaboration with Stanford University.
- Cancer Research: Various institutions, including the National Cancer Institute, work on cancer prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. In this field of research collaboration with Yale University.
- Environmental Science: Government agencies and academic departments study climate change, conservation, and sustainable practices. In this field of research collaboration with University of Pennsylvania.
- Aerospace Engineering: Research in this field is conducted at institutions like NASA and private companies, focusing on aircraft and spacecraft design. In this field of research collaboration with California Institute of Technology.
- Neuroscience: Departments of Neuroscience and Neurology explore the brain’s functions, disorders, and potential treatments. In this field of research collaboration with Duke University.
- Materials Science: Conducted in various universities and government laboratories, this research focuses on developing new materials for various applications. In this field of research collaboration with Brown University.
- Public Health: Research institutions like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) work on public health issues, including disease prevention and health policy. In this field of research collaboration with University of University of Virginia.
- Climate Change Research: Departments of Climate Science study the impact of climate change and develop strategies for mitigation and adaptation. In this field of research collaboration with University of University of California, Los Angeles.
- Energy Policy: Think tanks and government agencies research energy policies and their economic and environmental impacts. In this field of research collaboration with University of California, Berkeley.
- Social Sciences: Various departments explore topics like sociology, psychology, and anthropology, studying human behavior and society. In this field of research collaboration with Stratford University.
- Agricultural Research: The Department of Agriculture (USDA) conducts research on crop science, animal husbandry, and sustainable farming practices. In this field of research collaboration with Johns Hopkins University.
- Nanotechnology: Research in nanoscience and nanotechnology explores the manipulation of matter at the nanoscale for various applications. In this field of research collaboration with Northwestern University.
- Cybersecurity: Departments of Computer Science and Homeland Security work on securing computer systems and networks. In this field of research collaboration with Marymount California University.
- Biotechnology: Research institutions and companies focus on genetic engineering, biopharmaceuticals, and bioprocessing. In this field of research collaboration with Nyack College.
- Economics: Departments of Economics study economic systems, markets, and policy to understand and improve economic outcomes. In this field of research collaboration with Columbia University.
- Space Medicine: Research in space medicine is conducted by organizations like the National Space Biomedical Research Institute, focusing on health in space environments. In this field of research collaboration with Northern Vermont University.
- Education Research: Various departments of education and research institutions study pedagogy, curriculum development, and educational technology to enhance learning. In this field of research collaboration with University of Chicago.
We live in a world of incessant cultural and economic change, and the mission of JIU is to help students be successful in this environment. For this reason our education process includes specific skills required for particular disciplines, but also includes skills clustered around ethics, collaboration, communication and critical thinking. JIU is committed to fulfilling this mission by:
- providing innovative and relevant curriculum delivered by accomplished, supportive faculty
- offering readily available student-centered services
- implementing state-of-the-practice, learning-centered technology and learning resources
- engaging with constituents to create an exceptional educational experience
Through the enabling power of education, Jones International University endeavors to help create a world where it is more likely that reasonable human needs are met, where the environment is self-sustained, and especially where there is less conflict, less fear and more justice. A world where education is democratized. A world where hope is alive. We believe that such a world is most probable where free markets exist and freedom is abundant.
We are a meritocracy, we cherish fairness, and we quickly embrace change as a friend. Quality and integrity are requisites.
JIU academic programs are designed to serve the needs of learners to help them achieve their educational goals, lead richer lives, and shape the futures of their organizations and communities. Consequently, JIU courses are designed using the following assumptions.
- are motivated to succeed both personally and professionally
- learn well both independently and collaboratively
- learn best through application of their curriculum to practical situations and problems
- use a variety of learning styles to comprehend new concepts
- require focused educational content, flexibly available at work, home, and on the road
JIU has identified seven learning outcomes common across programs. Each graduate will have demonstrated the ability to:
- think and act like a global citizen with personal integrity, respect for diversity, and ethical behavior.
- think and act like leaders and supportive teammates
- adapt and apply theories to solve “real world” problems using innovative and creative solutions
- communicate effectively using a variety of methods and disciplines
- think analytically, critically, and systemically to prepare for a life of learning and accomplishment
- leverage information and technology to amplify personal and organizational achievement, and promote information literacy
- design a professional development strategy to formulate a career pathway leading to future success